- Simmer potatoes with garlic, bay leaves and salt until just cooked, drain and refrigerate to chill. Set aside.
- For the dill and lemon crème fraiche, whisk together chopped dill, crème fraiche, lemon zest and juice. Season with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- For the crispy capers, heat oil in a saucepan to 160c. Fry the capers until crisp all the way through. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Remove skin and bones from the trout and set aside.
- To serve, cut the potatoes in half. Top each half with a teaspoon of the dill and lemon crème fraiche.
- Dip the crème fraiche side of the potato into the crispy capers.
- Place a piece of the smoked trout next to the crème fraiche, and garnish with a sprig of fresh dill.
- Finish the canapés with a few good turns of freshly cracked black pepper.