- Pastry– combine butter, flour and sugar to form a crumb texture. Add egg so that pastry comes together. Do not over mix. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Grease a 25cm loose-bottomed flan tin. Roll out pastry to 3mm thick and place in flan tin ensuring the pastry covers sides and is trimmed off the top. Refrigerate for another 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
- Remove pastry from fridge, prick with a fork to create small holes in pastry. Blind bake the pastry (using baking paper and baking beans) for 10 minutes. Remove paper and beans and bake for another 5 minutes until the pastry is just starting to colour. Allow pastry to cool completely.
- Frangipane– Cream butter and sugar until light and soft. Add eggs one by one until well beaten. Add Kirsch, mashed potatoes and almonds. Spoon into cooled pastry case and even out to cover the pastry case.
- Using a melon baller, scoop 12 balls of potato. Arrange halved strawberries and potato balls into frangipane.
- Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 40-50 minutes or until frangipane is golden. Once baked, remove from oven and glaze with heated apricot jam or syrup. Serve with fresh cream or custard.